Friday, November 25, 2005

Web 2.0 Products We Need (But Which Don't Exist Yet)

Posted by Richard MacManus @ 11:57 pm

Mike Arrington from TechCrunch.com has written an excellent post in which he lists 10 types of Web 2.0 products the world needs, but which nobody has developed (at least to our knowledge). Here's his list and I'll add some more after:

1. Better and Cheaper Online File Storage
2. Blog/website Email Lists
3. Portable Reputations
4. Tailored Local Offers (via RSS)
5. Facebook, in other countries
6. Free Music
7. Open Source Yellow Pages
8. Podcast Transcriptions
9. Decentralized Review Aggregation
10. Build Something Cool with SSE (Microsoft's new RSS extensions)

To that list I'd add there is a real need for what I've termed Aggregator 2.0 (original, huh?). By that I mean an RSS Aggregator that is a lot smarter than the current generation. I want my Aggregator to get to know my preferences, automatically filter out content that won't interest me (start with duplicates and go from there), do future searches for me, triangulate stories, and a whole lot more. Kind of like Rojo meets PubSub meets memeorandum meets Findory meets Chandler meets something nobody has invented yet. In a nutshell, it has to be more like an agent or a bot than a piece of software. So not much to ask then ;-)

Other things I think we need:

  • more Web 2.0 products for eBooks.
  • a personalized memeorandum, where I can tweak the inputs myself.
  • better and more automated tools for inserting microformats into blog posts (e.g. technorati tags)
  • Translation service for foreign language blogs - e.g. there are a few Asian Web 2.0 blogs that I'd love to read, but which I can't because of the language barrier.
  • A reputation system that is as easy to understand as the Whuffie system in Cory Doctorow's book.

Those are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head. Why not make some suggestions in the Talkback section, I'd love to hear your ideas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home