Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Unleashing memes with Context Specific Mirroring

This is another one of those ideas I have on my To-Do list, but for which I’ll have little chance to get to soon. Hopefully LazyWeb style, it might appear in the meantime.

Background: I write my blog posts in Ecto (in fact, in the Ecto2 beta, which is shaping up to be a thing of beauty). I have lots of parts to my site. There’s the weblog itself, and code listings, and snippets of journalism, and cigar reviews, and a linklog and private areas for work related stuff. There’s a great deal going on, and I’m trying to make it a habit (as with this post) to dump as much of my thinking on here as possible. I’m finding it very useful, for various reasons.

Anyway, this is all done via the XML-RPC and Atom interfaces that my MT installation gives me, and as a desktop client, Ecto works very well. But it’s becoming clear to me that while the alluring mix of dodgy Perl code, Renaissance Art and tobacco meanderings might make this weblog part of your daily reading, it’s not doing the individual posts any favours. My coding would be infinitely helped - and might, even, help others - if it was posted to Perl Monks. The tech journalism could also be better served by being posted to Slashdot’s submission queue, or Kuro5hin, or a group blog. Weblogging posts, like this, might be better going to Blogroots. OSX posts could go to Forwarding Address. You get the idea.

Now, it’s not that I don’t want to have this content here. Far from it. I’ll always post everything to somewhere on this site. I just want to treat each individual posting as a single entity and place it in as fertile a set of beds as possible. I want context specific mirroring. I want to be able to choose multiple endpoints for a post, and publish to all of them with a single button click.

Of course, the web-based interfaces for Slashdot, Perl Monks and the rest are all different, and it would be foolish to wait for each of these sites to implement an Atom interface. But perhaps we could start to write Atom-to-Webform bridges for the most popular sites. Proxies that can take Atom posts and turn them into the right format for Kuro5hin story submission, or whatever. With that, and with desktop clients that can deal with multiple end-points, we could give our blog posts much richer lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home